For New Year’s I planned to make a tartan version of the asymmetrical neckline dress with a matching necktie for my husband. Knowing that I’m a hopeless time optimist, I cut out the pieces for the dress and then started with the tie. That way I would at least be able to finish one of the two. It proved to be a wise decision.
There’s an abundance of tutorials on how to make a necktie but the one that looked professional is this one. I pretty much followed the instructions, except I sewed everything by hand. The tutorial doesn’t say that much about how to make the pattern but it’s hardly rocket science. I simply took one of my husband’s favourite ties and made a pattern from that. The tie is constructed from 7 parts.
- 3 parts for the outer fabric (wide, middle and narrow end)
- 2 parts for lining the tips (also cut in main fabric)
- 1 slightly thick interlining that’s put inside the tie (to give it some weight)
- 1 keeper
The main fabric is a medium weight cotton fabric with a tartan print. Even the selvage was pretty so I decided to use it for the keeper. I didn’t have any suitable wool fabric in my stash for the interlining so I took two layers of left-over flannel from when I made my Minoru jacket and basted them together to give the interlining some weight.
The observant reader might notice that the pattern pieces for the main fabric doesn’t add up and that is absolutely correct. I managed to flip the pattern for the narrow end of the tie which meant that it didn’t fit together with the middle part. I quickly solved it by drawing a new pattern for the middle piece. Of course I managed flip that piece as well and had to re-do it a third time. That’s what happens when there’s too much blood in the caffeine circulation…
Overall I’m very happy with both the project and the outcome. It’s so nice to take your time and really make something properly. The sewing machine is very effective but a bit of hand sewing tends to make a garment just e little bit more special.