The Tania Culottes are finished and this means that I will be able to enjoy our vacation in Japan even more! It didn’t take me long to notice the difference in fashion/clothing on our last trip. The Japanese tend to wear clothes with a loose fit that actually covers their bodies to a larger extent than we do in Sweden. For example, men usually don’t wear shorts and women often wear neck-high tops (but show of quite a bit of leg). At first I was puzzled by this kind of fashion since it looked so warm, but after a while I realized that it was the loose fitting that saved everyone form overheating. Unfortunately for me, my thick denim shorts were all but loose fitting and made me sweat like a pig. Hopefully, I’ll be more comfortable in my new culottes!
After leaving it a couple of days, the hemline was all but straight…
Making the culottes was pretty straight forward. Like so many already suggested, I let them hang on my mannequin for a couple of days and then cut the hemline to make it even.
A new technique I tried for this project was to “stitch in the ditch”. To ensure my success, I used a bright red thread to baste the lining in place before stitching in the ditch from the face side.
More about the construction of the culottes can be found here.
Look at that circle skirt!
Here’s me watching …
What do you get if you take the pattern for a pair of pants and merge it with a pattern for a skirt? The answer is Culottes. Ever since I saw Megan Nielsen’s pattern for the Tania Culottes, I’ve been thinking about trying to reproduce the pattern as a small pattern making exercise for myself.
Judging by the nice fall of the skirt, I concluded that the base pattern for the skirt should be a full circle skirt. This simple sketch shows the basic pattern.
- Start with a circle, this will be the hemline of the culottes.
- Divide the circle into 4 parts. This is the start of two front pieces and two back pieces.
- Make an inner circle for the waistline.
- Remove two of the 4 parts, there’s no need to make duplicates. Also split the two left into two separate pieces. The split will become the side seam.
- To make the skirt into shorts and to hide the crotch seam, more fabric needs to be added in the front and back.
- After the added fabric, there should be a front and a back crotch seam.
- Finally add a bit of length to the back piece to accommodate for the bottom.
Here’s a tiny, tiny muslin (that probably fits a Barbie doll)!
Only problem is that I really need at least one pair of culottes for our trip to Japan and time is running short. In the end, I decided to buy the pdf pattern and try it out. To my delight, I wasn’t too far off with my first sketch. The pattern is rather easy to follow but hourglass- and pear-shaped women be warned, it looks like this pattern is made for almost rectangle shaped women. For me, there was a small problem with the top of the lining. I had to take in 1-1,5cm on both sides of the two lining pieces. That’s 4-6cm in total :O
The Culottes are looking rather good if I may say so myself