After 7 years together, me and my prince charming got married! It was a lovely ceremony and we’re glad so many of our friends and family could be there to celebrate with us. As per request, here are some photos from the wedding!
Big day today and I just finished the jacket. After checking out the assortment in several bridal shops, I realized that my puffy sleeve madness actually looked good in comparison. Which means that buying something wasn’t an option. With that said I knew that I just had to “make it work”. With some modifications, the jacket now looks decent enough to wear. In a different fabric, I reckon it could actually look rather good.
Ironically, the sun is shining and it’s 20 degrees outside which means that I probably no longer need this jacket.
What does one do when the weather forecast says 15 degrees and rain on the day of the wedding and one simply forgot to buy a jacket? Naturally one makes a jacket. At least that’s what I thought this weekend. Now I’m not so sure any more. To make things easy, I decided to grab the Cordova pattern that I got for free earlier this summer and just make some minor alterations. The mock-up I did in a hurry on Saturday looked pretty decent. However, the actual jacket did not.
Muslin to the left and silk to the right
Puffy sleeves aren’t normally my cup of tea but I remember thinking that it could ‘kind of work’. That was in muslin… In silk it just looks ridiculous. I can’t wear this! That thing just reminds me of Nadine from Twin Peaks and the woman was bat-shit crazy. If I can’t fix this power puff madness asap, I need to rent something because this is simply not wearable.
I’d be lying big time if I said that hemming is fun. To me it’s more like a necessary evil. About half way through, I was contemplating attacking the hem with a stapler. Even though it would’ve worked, I’m glad I sticked to the good ol’ hand-sewing. But now, 9m of hem later, the dress is finally completely finished! Now all I need to worry about is saying ‘yes’ at the right moment :)
Oh, and I thought I’d share a few things I’ve learnt about hemming silk and silk chiffon. The silk was pretty easy to work with and I was able to make a seam that’s as good as invisible on both sides. The chiffon however, is a different story. The fabric slides around like crazy and it’s extremely hard to sew a ~2mm hem using the first method. The approached I used was to first press a crease ~2-3mm below the skirt’s length. Then cut off any excess fabric but leave a ~2mm seam allowance below the crease. Using your fingers and the needle, fold the crease upwards and you’ll get a 2mm hem. When sewing, first let the needles slide through the ‘front fabric’ and continue downwards through the hem. The thread will then force the hem in place by wrapping around it. See pictures below for a more visual explanation :)
Using this type of stitch, the seam is invisible from both sides.
This type of stitch works well with chiffon since it keeps the fabric in place better than the first one. On the downside, it’s not invisible on both sides.
This is how both types of hem look like from the face side.
After much fiddling around with different settings the last couple of days, yukiclothing.com is finally up and running again! And this time it is set to be my primary domain which means you will be directed here if you visit my wordpress site. Hopefully these changes will have a positive effect on how Google index the blog :)
It recently came to my attention that readers who aren’t logged in to wordpress are shown some random ads here and there. I’ve taken care of that issue as well so please enjoy YukiClothing – now free of ads!