Yuki Clothing

plain and simple


7 Comments

Cushion cover of recycled denim

I think there’s something very appealing about recycling. I like to think that it saves both the planet and my money. Of course, it’s not always that the idea that looked amazing in my head turns out great in reality. However, this particular one is one that I’m very pleased with. At first, I was planning on selling two of them on Etsy but before I even finished making all of them, my mother-in-law exclaimed “I wanna buy them! They would look great in our summer-house!”

Material-wise, this isn’t a cheap project but if you’ve got a bunch of jeans to sacrifice you’re good to go.

For one50x50cm cushion cover you’ll need:

A lapped zipper

A lapped zipper

  • 25 12x12cm squares of mixed denim
  • 52x52cm lining fabric for the front side
  • some denim for the back side (amount is dependent on how/where you insert the zipper
  • 1 zipper ~47cm
  1. Sew the squares together (if in doubt, check out how I made the bedspread). Don’t forget to press the seams!
  2. Measure and cut the lining fabric.
  3. Serge (or zigzag) the lining together with the front.
  4. Sew the zipper (I used a lapped zipper here)
  5. Sew front and back sides with their right sides facing together. Don’t forget to open up the zipper or you’ll have trouble turning it right sides out.
  6. Press and you’re done!

 


6 Comments

Finished bedspread

It’s been over a month ago since I first told you about the bedspread made of recycled denim. I’m now happy to tell you that it’s finally finished! For about two to three weeks I’ve been thinking “this will finally be the day when I finish it” but no, no, it always takes longer than I expected. However, yesterday was the day :D

When I got to making the back side of the bedspread I went to the store to buy some denim. That part went well. I usually pre-wash all fabrics but I just didn’t feel like pre-washing and ironing 8m of heavy denim. Feeling lazy, I just cut the fabric pieces that I needed and start ironing them. After a while I looked at my hands and realized that karma just punched me right in face. Saying I looked like a Smurf might be a slight exaggeration but let’s just say that I really needed to wash the fabric.

Washing means shrinkage and that was something I hadn’t taken into account when I cut the fabric. Sure, I did cut some extra but nowhere near the 5% needed. Fortunately there were just enough fabric left after washing it twice in cold water and stretching it afterwards. *phew*

At first I had planned on adding a 10cm border around the entire bedspread in the same denim as the one I used for the back. However, I decided to add a smaller border (~1cm) instead. It looked just as good and quite frankly, easier to sew. So I got to use my bias binding maker for the first time and it worked like a charm – even on the thick denim!

Now that I’ve finished this project it’s about time I started working on my pattern grading skills and grade the pattern for the Tamoto dress.